Well, here they are now heading back to school, which will be kicked off by our WBID’s Annual “Back to School Sales Days” on Woodhaven’s Jamaica Avenue. Shop, shop, shop the bargains on your award-winning Woodhaven Business Improvement District’s Jamaica Avenue from Dexter Court to 100th Street, our “Everything Avenue.”
On Saturday, August 25, your WBID will sponsor “Back to School” Sales Days with the great musical group Plastic Soul, face painters, and free giveaways, including as always our American flags. All courtesy of your Storeowners and Business owners that care enough to contribute to the WBID that make these activities possible.
So next Saturday, August 25, from 1 p.m. on, shop while you enjoy the music, the clowns, and free face painting. So, buy, buy, buy and then relax by eating out or ordering in at the many restaurants with good food, great sales, fun events from your Woodhaven Business Improvement District. Only in Woodhaven! Where the prices are right, the streets clean and you can enjoy shopping and dining in a safe, warm, atmosphere. So, Shop! Shop! Shop!
We also will be distributing our store and business listing flyers so you know where many stores are located. On this list is our unique Smiley’s Yarn Store. This great store has all kinds of yarn and any other handcraft goods that you may need. This is a store that no other shopping strip has! Only in our award-winning Woodhaven Business Improvement District can you find such a special store with a really special owner and staff.
• During dry spells, please use your air conditioner’s water for your street trees and plants.
• The GWDC Office is again offering low-cost home improvement loans. These loans at 2.5 and 5 percent are available for one- to four-family homes. Please call our office at (718) 805-0202 for more information.
• Also, don’t forget make your opinion known regarding the new City Council Districts that will be drawn in our area. Hearing dates will be held between August 13-August 23. A schedule for the locations and times is available at nyc.gov/districting.
• There are positions available at the 2012 U.S. Tennis Open. Please register online at www.amerivents.com.
Very Important Dates• Mark your calendars for Saturday, August 25. Also for our Greater Woodhaven Development Corporation-sponsored “Wonderful Woodhaven Street Festival 2012” on October 14, from noon to 6 p.m. –
• Vote in the Democratic and Republican primaries on Thursday September 13. This is an important vote, for it will determine the candidates that will be in the general election on Tuesday, November 6. Also, on Tuesday November 6, if you can not get to the polls to vote due to a handicap or bad or snowy weather, then plan on securing an absentee ballot now just in case. Please contact our office at (718) 805-0202 for more information.
• Wonderous Stories on Thursday, August 16, at 7:30 p.m. at the George Seuffert Bandshell in Forest Park An evening of rock’s most time-tested music from the 60’s-80’s.
This past week I was truly mesmerized by the Olympic Games in London. I, and I know all Americans, were so proud of our U.S. athletes. In every field of competition, they were exceptional and filled with good sportsmanship and good will. They competed and won more medals than any other country in the world. Another time to be proud to be an American.
Fly your American flags proudly above all others and replace them often. Wear your flag pin, too. May God bless our armed forces, our disabled veterans, and may God bless America.