Aqueduct developer makes good on promise
by Stephen Geffon
Feb 15, 2011 | 4822 views | 0 0 comments | 26 26 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Aqueduct racino developer Genting NY is making good on its promise last summer to hire minority and women-owned firms.

More than one in three subcontractors and suppliers hired to construct the new Resorts World New York racino at Aqueduct Racetrack in South Ozone Park is a New York State certified Minority or Women Owned Business Enterprise (MWBE), officials from the company announced last week.

According to Resorts World, the firm’s general contractor, Tutor Perini, has MWBE subcontractor and supplier commitments totaling approximately 36 percent of the contracts awarded to date, in such specialties as electrical contracting, carpentry, security, and other services.

“Resorts World New York is fully committed to providing meaningful and substantial contractual opportunities for MWBE's in the construction of our new facility at the historic Aqueduct Racetrack,” said Michael Speller, president of Resorts World New York. “From the beginning, we have made MWBE and local participation on this project a top priority.”

One such MWBE subcontract was awarded to Jamaica based company Cannady Security, Inc.

“As the owner of a certified minority business enterprise from the community, I am very appreciative of receiving this contract to provide around the clock security during construction at Resorts World,” said Henry Cannady, president of Cannady Security Inc., which has been located in Queens for more than 30 years.

According to Genting, once fully operational, Resorts World New York is expected to permanently employ more than 900 workers in the entertainment, hospitality, security and food-service fields; provide $300 million in annual revenue for the state; and give New York City its first ever casino.

The new facility will include a multi-level casino with 4,500 video lottery terminals, as well as several dining venues and retail space. Improvements to the existing building exterior, roadways, parking lots and landscaping are also to be included in the project.

Construction will take approximately 18 months to complete. The work will be completed in three stages, allowing areas of the facility to open and operate prior to completion of the entire project.

The first phase of the project will include 1,600 video lottery terminals. At the end of the second phase, the remaining VLT’s will open as well as a light show, the restaurants, a sports bar and the entrance lobby.

Construction of the casino has hit some delays, first in the permit process and then with asbestos abatement. Initially, Genting had hoped to open part of the casino in May. However, it now looks like the casino won’t be ready to open until late summer.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet