Following two police attacks, mayor defends stop-and-frisk
by Brendan McGrath
Jul 11, 2012 | 561 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
In the aftermath of two attacks on law enforcement officers last week, Mayor Michael Bloomberg defended the city's controversial stop-and-frisk policy following an appearance at Queens Botanical Garden.

Protests against stop-and-frisk have gained momentum recently, with local politicians and advocacy groups demanding changes to police policies.

On Thursday, July 5, the mayor addressed the issue in the aftermath of that morning’s shooting of police officer Brian Groves in Manhattan.

“Right here in New York City we have interest groups, politicians and now judges that seem hellbent on reversing the progress that we’ve made,” Bloomberg said.

The comments came the day of the Groves shooting, who was saved by a bullet-proof vest, and just one day after an MTA police officer was stabbed in the eye by a deranged maniac at an LIRR station in Jamaica. He survived, but may lose sight in one of his eyes.

Two recent court cases have resulted in overturning convictions of individuals who were found to have illegal guns in their possession after being searched by police officers, in what the mayor characterized as “judges putting into question what the cops are doing, when they are following the book exactly, that has been litigated before.”

The mayor expressed his frustration with groups who “want to place arbitrary restrictions on police officers and hamper their ability to take guns off the street,” as well as critics who claim other cities have done a better job.

“Today we are far and away the safest big city you can find in America,” Bloomberg said as he cited statistics that New York City is expected to have less than 500 murders this year, whereas if it suffered from the murder rates of Los Angeles, Chicago or Baltimore it would have 600, 1,300 or 2,500 murders, respectively.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet